Saturday, February 21, 2009

Essentials of a Sick Concert

Essentials
#1 Good Artist
#2 Cool Venue (small or big, don't matter)
#3 21+ only
#4 Bar/drinks available
#5 No assholes ruining it for you
#6 Lights off during the performance (stage lights are ok)

Extra Points
#7 Surprise guest(s)
#8 Unique stage/set
#9 Good view
#10 Weed

I thought #6 would be a given, but apparently not at USF (Lupe).

Add anything else if I'm missing something.

I've probably been to atleast a dozen concerts/shows... here's some of my experiences...

Best Big Venue Concert I've Ever Been to/Best Stage:
Glow in the Dark Tour: Kanye West, Rihanna, N.E.R.D. & Lupe Fiasco @ HP Pavillion in San Jose, April/June 2008: so nice I had to see it twice, and I'd probably go again if there was a third

Best Small Venue Concert I've Ever Been to/Best Surprise Guests:
Mos Def @ House of Blues in Hollywood, October 2004: surprise guests included Talib Kweli, Common, and Kanye w/ Will I Am playing the drums, and all of them performed on stage together during the whole show

Best Venue:
LA Sports Arena, November 2003: I forgot the name of the event but there was a rave inside the Arena and a hip-hop festival outside that featured DJ Q-Bert, Blackalicious, Talib Kweli (w/ Kanye when he was still only a producer), Big Boi of OutKast, and Nas.

Biggest Asshole Award: The 3 "E-Team" Bitches that wouldn't get off our friends' seats at the Lil Wayne concert @ Oakland Coliseum

Worst Concert Venue: Lupe Fiasco @ USF Memorial Gym... nothing against Lupe, he was good... just not a great experience... c'mon the lights were on and it felt like a high school dance.

No comments: